Sunday, April 4, 2010

Our Beloved PokeChildhoods

When it comes to gaming I have always been more of a casual player when comparing myself to other gamers. Except for a certain few, the Super Smash Bros. series being a good example, I am not very good at video games in general, and I am not into them as much as some of my friends.
However the Pokémon series has, and will, always hold a special place in my heart as a cherished favorite, and I feel I have to defend it against naysayers. Also with the recent additions of HeartGold and SoulSilver versions to the ranks of awe inspiring and RPG urge- satisfying Pokémon games I feel this is a relevant issue.
Most peers of mine do enjoy Pokémon simply because it is ingrained in our childhood like going to a baseball game for the first time, or visiting a circus for the first time where that innate fear of clowns is initially stirred. Childhood memories make us who we are. Television shows and video games a person enjoys when a child will always bring happy childhood memories to that person when played or watched later in life, and maybe that is the reason people get so disagreeable when those things are changed or added to.
People’s childhoods are not going to be destroyed when new Pokémon games come out. I am tired of hearing people complain that Pokémon was ruined when the Gold and Silver versions of the video game came out, and by subsequent versions of the game polluting the simple first set of Pokémon with three others. I hear things along the lines of “Yeah, I like Pokémon, but after the first one-hundred and fifty I lost interest” and I want to say “well then you don’t like Pokémon” but, I never do.
I wish to take a stand today but, I understand where people are coming from. I was very happy that I had an original VHS copy of E.T. after I learned that Steven Spielberg decided to remake it with better graphics and less shotguns but, people overreacted to this change too.
I re-watched the movie to see where exactly the guns had been taken out and I couldn’t believe it was a one-second span of film people were outraged over. Right before E.T. and that pale kid fly over the police there’s a shot of a gun in the hands of the police. I admit this shot would be pointless if the menacing gun were replaced with a walkie-talkie, but it is so short I don’t know how people even noticed.
People need to let stuff like that go. The great memories a person has of watching E.T. for the first time, or even the second and third, can never actually be relived. And, it’s fine to want your children to experience the same things you did when you grew up, but no two people ever experience anything the same way anyway.
So, fellow pokefans need to put down their pikes and armor. Enjoy the fact that they are still making Pokémon games, and even remaking the old ones with new features. The people who make Pokémon do an amazing job with the new games as well as with remaking the old ones. These fresh additions keep the franchise alive and thriving. The fact that these games are still very enjoyable is amazing and should be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment